In just one year, John Madejski Academy has experienced a ‘rapid process of transformation’ after new Principal, Laura Ellener was appointed.
On 19th and 20th September 2017, Ofsted visited the academy with inspectors looking at different aspects of the school. As a result of this inspection, John Madejski Academy has been removed from special measures. This result represents a huge turnaround from the school’s previous inspection, conducted in November 2015.
Among the reasons Ofsted gave for the Academy’s success were; ‘the new leadership team inspired by the commitment and missionary-like zeal of the principal’; and ‘the rapidly improving teaching’.
It comes as no surprise that the effectiveness of leadership and management was rated as ‘good’ and Ofsted commended the Principal and her newly formed team as both ‘ambitious and skilful’.
Some other highlights of the report include:
• All lessons are conducted in a positive atmosphere. There is rare disruption to learning.
• Leaders have created a calm and orderly environment. Pupils treat each other with respect. They respect each other’s differences.
• The school makes a positive contribution to their personal, spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
• The subject leaders for mathematics, English and science are all strong practitioners able to provide good models of contemporary practice.
• The elite sports and performing arts programme enables pupils to pursue their creative or sporting ambitions.
Principal, Laura Ellener said, “This is a huge achievement and great credit is due to the children that attend the Academy and the teachers and support-staff that are committed to working alongside them. We are proud of many of the Academy’s achievements and improvements. Our results last year showed significant improvement, particularly in Maths and Science. The excellent 2017 A Level and BTEC National results enabled more pupils than ever before to gain a place at University or secure an Apprenticeship or work offer. I am delighted that Ofsted recognised these and many other strengths. I would like to say a huge thank you to the staff, students and governors for all their hard work and commitment which enabled the inspectors to arrive at this judgment.”
Chair of Governors, Mary Raill said, “The governors are delighted that OFSTED have recognised the huge improvements that Laura Ellener and her staff have made at the Academy over the last 12 months. We are all committed to achieving an outstanding rating as our students continue to thrive and succeed.”
Come and see the school in action and meet the team at our upcoming Open Mornings.
- Tuesday 17th October (9.15-11am)
- Friday 20th October (9.15-11am)
- Monday 30th October (9.15-11am)