In this section you will find important information on SEND admissions and external agencies supporting SEND.
External Agencies supporting SEND
John Madejski Academy works with a variety of agencies to ensure that students’ needs are met effectively. We report to the Reading Borough SEND team and ensure we follow protocols by close liaison with SEN Officers.
Useful links to Reading’s directory of support for young people with SEND is here:
The John Madejski Academy is an inclusive school that attracts students with a range of special educational needs, and students with disabilities.
To address the demands made on SEND provision we ‘provision map’ our resources: a range of interventions are devised to appropriately and effectively meet students’ needs. Details of proposed interventions are always discussed with parents/carers first.
Students with heavily resourced Education, Health and Care Plans, or Statements of Special Educational Needs, will be considered as having significant needs, that will be prioritized through ‘provision mapping’: group interventions are targeted towards those with similar needs whilst recognizing that some students will need more support – sometimes individualized support – than others.
We also have access to a range of specialist support services including:
- Educational Psychology
- SENSS (Special Educational Needs Support Services), who support students with communication and language needs, sensory and physical needs
- Child and Adult Health Services (CAMHS) Arc Counselling
- 5 counselling
- Family workers
- Youth workers
- Primary Mental Health workers
- Berkshire Women’s Aid (Domestic Violence)
- SOURCE (Young people drug and Alcohol service)
- School nurse
- Daisy’s Dream (Bereavement)
- PPP Parenting support
- Edge of Care
- Resolve Mediation (Cyber bullying TVP)
- Launch Pad (Housing support)
- Diabetic Nurse
- Young careers
- REACH Out (LGBT)
- C Card (contraception service)
- Elevate (NEET support)
- IASS (Information and advice service for SEND)
- Parenting Special Children
- Berkshire Autistic Society
- SAFE project (working with vulnerable young people) mentoring
- Safer Schools Police Officer
- PREVENT Officer
- Multi-systemic Therapy
- Food for Families
- Stable Life (equine Therapy)