Supported by the Education Funding Agency, the John Madejski Academy 16-19 Bursary Fund exists to help students whose education could otherwise suffer due to financial difficulties or other barriers. We use it to help students stay in education and to promote a positive attitude to learning and success.
The 16–19 Bursary Fund has two elements:
1. Guaranteed bursary – students who fall into this category are entitled to a bursary of £1,200 a year. These include:
- Young people in care (looked after children) and care leavers.
- Young people who receive Income Support.
- Disabled young people who receive both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance.
2. Discretionary bursary – we can allocate the rest of the funding for each year as we see fit to help other students who are facing financial difficulties. This might include covering the costs of transport, school trips, books and equipment for individual students on a case-by-case basis. We call this a discretionary bursary.
Who is eligible for a discretionary bursary?
In 2015–16 we offer discretionary bursary awards of up to £400 to students in the following categories:
a) Learners on free school meals and/or whose families receive income-related benefits and/or whose family income is below £21,000 per year.
b) Young carers.
c) Young people with a statement of special educational needs who don’t receive an Employment Support Allowance or Disability Support Allowance.
We may also give bursaries to other young people facing hardship or difficulties, at our discretion.
Conditions for receiving a bursary
To receive bursary payments, students must meet the following conditions:
- Attending all lessons and registration with their form tutor each day.
- Showing a positive attitude to learning.
- Completing their coursework and/or homework on time and to the best of their ability.
- Attending their exams.
We may suspend payments if a student fails to meet any, some or all these conditions.
The official closing date for the 2014/15 bursary application form has now passed. However we may accept late applications as long as there are sufficient funds available.DOWNLOAD BURSARY FUND STUDENT INFORMATIONDOWNLOAD BURSARY FUND APPLICATION FORM